What support do we have for you as a parent of a child with SEND?

The class teacher is regularly available to discuss your child’s progress or any concerns you may have and to share information about what is working well at home and school, so that similar strategies can be used.

  • The SENCo is available to meet with you to discuss your child’s progress or any concerns/worries you may have.
  • All information from outside professionals will be discussed with you by the person involved directly, or where this is not possible, in a report.
  • Personal progress targets /IEPs/ IBPs will be reviewed with your involvement every term.
  • Homework will be adjusted as needed to your child’s individual requirements.
  • A home-school contact book may be used to support communication with you when this has been agreed to be useful for you and your child.

There have been a lot of national changes to the way in which SEN support is administered and funded recently. The Department of Education have produced a document called "Special Educational Needs and Disability; A Guide for Parents and Carers" published in August 2014 to help parents understand these changes.

Your local Parent Partnership Service can also give you advice about SEN.